Monday, February 4, 2013

Will Anyone Come to Istanbul Now?

After the events of the last four days -- the U.S. Embassy was bombed and American tourist Sarai Sierra was found dead -- Turkey's reputation as a safe and moderate country has taken quite a hit in the eyes of the world. Sigh. It really makes me sad because for all that, despite its faults, Turkey remains a safe and moderate country. But I'm guessing none of my friends will come to visit now. :(  I was going to write more, but frankly, I find the whole thing kind of depressing.


Pin It

7 comments:

  1. I would still like to come visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray! Now we just have to convince Emily to prioritize a trip. :)

      Delete
  2. My wife went to Istanbul in Oct last year. She also a photographer. She took ans assignment to make a photo-story about Tarlabasi. Few days later I joined her and we spent few days scrolling through the neighborhood, but first three days she was alone in her walking tours of Tarlabasi. It is very interesting place and not more dangerous than East New York or Bushwick, Brooklyn.

    You can take a look in slideshow with some video footage which was made about this part of Istanbul. It is in Russian, I can write translation if someone want to spend time and add English soundtrack to it.

    Take a look at video here http://vimeo.com/52682726

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I tried to watch the video, but Vimeo said it is a private video.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, you can try now.

      Delete
    3. The photographs in your wife's video are wonderful -- she is really talented at capturing people. Even without understanding the words, I feel the emotion of the video. Have you thought about just adding English subtitles to the bottom?

      Delete
    4. It is a good idea. I will try to do that.

      Delete

This blog is governed by the general rules of respectful civil discourse. Domestically Yours reserves the right to remove comments deemed to be offensive or unsuited to the subject matter of this site. Gratuitous links to sites are viewed as spam and will not be approved by the moderator.