Sunday, August 12, 2012

Adventures in Cooking: Birthday oreos

I'm not a huge fan of Turkish desserts, so I decided that I would make myself birthday cookies this year instead of trying to buy something. Why cookies, as opposed to a cake? I have no idea.

I'd stumbled across a recipe for homemade Oreo cookies on Shine about a month ago, and the recipe (and ingredients list) seemed pretty simple, so I decided to give them a try. The recipe comes from One Girl Cookies: Recipes for Cakes, Cupcakes, Whoopie Pies, and Cookies from Brooklyn's Beloved Bakery by Dawn Casale and David Crofton.


I was generally pretty pleased with the recipe. I had expected the cookie shell to be moist and chewy, as they look in the Shine photo, but the cookies were pretty hard. Which wasn't bad, just surprising. I ended up keeping the cookies in the refrigerator because it's been so hot here and it was messing with the filling, and I found that this improved the cookie taste...and also that they tasted better after a day in the refrigerator.

My only comment about the recipe is that it makes WAY too much cream filling. You can't put a lot of cream filling between the wafers because it comes shooting out the side, and so when I was done putting the cookies together, I had more than half of the cream filling left. In my opinion, you could safely halve that portion of the recipe.

In other Adventures in Cooking news, I decided after the birthday baking that I would make wedding macarons (which is to say, macarons for our wedding), which I would delightfully and gracefully present to our small group of guests. Unfortunately, the macarons didn't cooperate with my fantasy. I suppose trying to make one of the world's most difficult desserts in a countertop mini-oven was probably not the best idea. :) Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is governed by the general rules of respectful civil discourse. Domestically Yours reserves the right to remove comments deemed to be offensive or unsuited to the subject matter of this site. Gratuitous links to sites are viewed as spam and will not be approved by the moderator.