Thursday, December 6, 2012

25 Days of Ornaments: Felt Christmas tree

The ornament I was most excited about making this year was this adorable felt Christmas tree, which I found through -- where else? -- Pinterest. I think it might have something to do with the fact that it bears more than a passing resemblance to one of my favorite ornaments from last year, the button Christmas tree.

In the original post, a little kid makes the ornament with her mom, so I figured this little tree would be a piece of cake, and I began to cut away at the ever-decreasing circles. (Of course, I needed a protractor and a paper template to do this -- I couldn't cut anything resembling a circle if my life depended on it.)

As my tree began to grow, I realized it looked a little funny -- it was much too squat. Eventually I realized that the felt circles aren't ever-decreasing; in the middle section, some of the circles should be of the same diameter to give the circle an extra burst of height.

I also can't cut a star to save my life (or a straight line, while we're on the subject). I attempted to draw out the star first, but that didn't work out very well. I contemplated making bead stars with jewelry wire, but in the end, I made little yellow felt crowns (bishop hats?). For these, I cut out a square and folded it up into a wide triangle. Then I sewed up the open sides and then sewed the two side corners together in the back.


I made two ornaments, as you can see, but I think I prefer the green one. But they both look lovely on the tree. :) Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is governed by the general rules of respectful civil discourse. Domestically Yours reserves the right to remove comments deemed to be offensive or unsuited to the subject matter of this site. Gratuitous links to sites are viewed as spam and will not be approved by the moderator.