Wednesday, December 26, 2012

25 Days of Ornaments: Button Christmas tree

Well, I really fell off the wagon, didn't I? But I have a decent excuse: While we were playing squash at the gym on Saturday, I pulled a muscle in my lower back, and I wasn't able to move for two days. Yesterday saw some improvement -- I could stand up without help -- and today, I'm finally starting to feel like myself again. [So what is the moral of this story? The gym is evil. Or I need to strengthened my back. One or the other.]

On the bright side, since people don't celebrate Christmas here -- they don't even really know what Christmas is -- and the trees are up for New Year's, I figure I have another week to finish my ornaments. :)

So, as I mentioned in a previous post -- the button ornament round-up -- button Christmas ornaments are immensely popular, as least judging by my blog stats. And since I have a ton of buttons left over from last Christmas, I decided to see what else I could make. Initially I wanted to make a button Christmas tree like the one from last year, but in white, to represent the flocked trees that we always had when I was a kid -- but it turned out I hardly had any white buttons, so that was out.

Instead, I decided to make a button Christmas tree on fabric. First, I laid out my buttons on the table -- on this one, the buttons increase in size as the tree grows wider. Then I sewed them on, and added little round beads for ornaments. Finally, I sewed on a fabric back, and stuffed just before closing it up. Truth be told, I'm not terribly fond of this ornament -- I winged it when I cut out the shape (after the buttons were already sewn on) and it ended up being too cramped. What can I say, I did that part two days ago and my back was killing me -- but lesson learned, and I was more conscientious with the ornaments that came after.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is governed by the general rules of respectful civil discourse. Domestically Yours reserves the right to remove comments deemed to be offensive or unsuited to the subject matter of this site. Gratuitous links to sites are viewed as spam and will not be approved by the moderator.