Sunday, December 18, 2011

25 Days of Ornaments: Origami birds

I don't know how I came up with the idea of making origami ornaments, it was just one of those things. In my head, they were going to made out of colored sheet music as I'd seen a pretty cool star ornament using regular black-and-white music. So I asked Cagatay to digitally color some sheets - some were bright pink, some were a sunshine yellow. I decided to make two kinds of origami birds, the traditional crane and a dove, both of whose patterns I got out of an origami book that I own (the aptly titled Origami Handbook by Rick Beech); I'm sure you can also Google patterns. The folding went well but I didn't love the way they turned out - the colors looked a wee bit unnatural. The smaller version looked better, though admittedly all of my efforts are gracing our tree.


My biggest brainflash though was to use magazine pages - the paper is thin and colorful, seemingly ideal for origami. So best ornament, the dove, actually came from the pages of InStyle...thank you Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and your brownish Burburry ad. :)
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is governed by the general rules of respectful civil discourse. Domestically Yours reserves the right to remove comments deemed to be offensive or unsuited to the subject matter of this site. Gratuitous links to sites are viewed as spam and will not be approved by the moderator.