Saturday, December 8, 2012

25 Days of Ornaments: A Christmas Story leg lamp

I'm going to go out on a limb and make a bold prediction: This fusible-bead leg lamp ornament from A Christmas Story is going to be my favorite ornament this year. It makes me laugh every time I see it.

This is an original ornament, and I basically just fooled around with the Perler beads until it resembled the shape I wanted. I used both solid yellow and clear neon yellow beads in the lampshade, which ended up being a smart choice -- now, hanging on the tree, the light really comes through the clear beads, making the lampshade more lampshade-like. If I was doing it again, I'd probably only use the clear yellow beads in that section. I'm still up in the air about adding fringe -- you could probably string it through each black hole on the bottom of the lampshade.

I won't post an actual pattern as I think you can see how to lay out the beads pretty clearly from the photo. But if you have any questions, please post in the comments!

While I love this ornament, I still have mixed feelings about A Christmas Story. I hated that movie when I was a kid, but it was on TV all the time during the holidays, so it's sort of grown on me
 -- it feels traditional, even if I don't always fully enjoy the actual watching of it. Having said that, the leg lamp scenes are pretty funny.

 

Copyright © 2012 Melinda Mahaffey, all rights reserved. This pattern or its finished product may not be reproduced, sold or distributed – mechanically, electronically, or by any other means, including posting to websites – without written permission from Melinda Mahaffey. The pattern and the finished product is for personal use only.
 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is governed by the general rules of respectful civil discourse. Domestically Yours reserves the right to remove comments deemed to be offensive or unsuited to the subject matter of this site. Gratuitous links to sites are viewed as spam and will not be approved by the moderator.