Wednesday, December 5, 2012

25 Days of Ornaments: Crochet mice

Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house/Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.

Those are the famous opening lines of "Twas the Night Before Christmas," and the only justification I can think of for ever thinking of a mouse as a Christmas creature. And yet, how cute are mice when used as Christmas ornaments? I have a cute childhood ornament of a little mouse tucked into a walnut-shell bed. But I digress...

These little crochet mice were actually the first Christmas ornaments I made this year, back at the end of October. I bought the pattern a few months ago on Etsy -- initially, I was using it and its bigger cousin to make fun cat toys.


The only change I made was on the green mouse -- as I was stitching the nose at the very end, with 3-strand DMC black, I realize that it would be really easy to give him whiskers. When I started with the nose, I left a little bit of the thread tail out on one side, stitched the nose -- which held the thread in place -- and then when I was done, took my needle out the opposite side to create the other set of whiskers. (Did that make sense? I hope so.)


 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is governed by the general rules of respectful civil discourse. Domestically Yours reserves the right to remove comments deemed to be offensive or unsuited to the subject matter of this site. Gratuitous links to sites are viewed as spam and will not be approved by the moderator.